Sunday, October 26, 2003

"The time has come" the walrus said "to speak of many things"

Well, I don't feel I performed very well on my martial arts test, but I'll find out tomorrow whether or not I'll have to do a make up test.

At any rate, here are some of the things on my mind at the moment

1) The Tory/Alliance merger - Wow, something that is actually scary enough to make the Liberals clean up their act a bit. Not that I'd ever vote for the conservative blowhards who represent these parties, but the fact that such a merge would actually form a real challenge is enough to make me volunteer to help campaign for the Liberals come the next election. The fact that they are trying to get Mike Harris, Joe Clark, Brian Mulroney, and Ralph Klein involved in this political Legion of Doom is more than enough to make me more politically active.

2) The Toronto Kidnapping - I pray that the child is found alive and well, and that the psycho who did this is put behind some iron bars for a very long time. I also hope that this event is exploited into another "tough on crime, tough on the poor" campaign by self-serving right-wing politicans.

3) Plans for the next week - I'm hoping to have a batch of ebay auctions up for late Monday Early Tuesday, and I hope you find something you'll want to purchase. If you want a sneek peek email me at infinite_horizon@hotmail.com .

I'll be in Waterloo from Thursday to Sunday, meeting up with old friends, networking, researching some ideas for future career directions, and hitting some of the best comic shops and book stores in the country. My shopping list for this trip will include
-Star Trek: New Frontier - "No Limits" and "Stone and Anvil" - I've never cared for any of Peter David's comic writing (not to say that it isn't great, it's just not my cup of tea), but his novels are the only Star Trek stuff I've even bothered with since Deep Space Nine ended. New Frontier is too balsy to ever have even been considered for TV, and I really love what he's accomplished.
-Back the Attack and/or Stormwatch: Team Achilles - Only with the guidance of Alan David Doane and Johanna Carlson did I recently discover Mr. Wright and his witty writing style. I've already read all of the scripts he posted on his website, and I'm a frequent lurker on his message board, so it's time for me to put my money where my mouth is and actually start supporting this guy.
-ABC stuff: You can never have enough Alan Moore
-Sleeper back issues: So I can have the complete set. I'm also hoping to track down an extra copy of issue 1 to give to a friend who's a big fan of 24 and thus will probably get a big kick out of this.
-Invinicible #1 - I have all the other issues, and I read this one online, but I want it in my hands anyway.

4) Aw crap - there is only one thing in the world that could possibly get me to buy three issues of the regular issues of the regular Superman titles, and they've done it.

Mr. Majestic.

On one hand, I can see how this could end up being very awful, simply on account of the fact that these are the regular Superman titles we are dealing with here. On the other, I have to admit that there is an implied concession made here that is stunning; Superman's knock offs have become more interesting than Superman. Whether it was Claremont, Moore, Robinson, or Casey, I liked Mr. Majestic. It seemed to me that it was a great exploration of the Superman archtype, and you can see how Moore went from Majestic to his Supreme, thus thumbing his nose at DC by showing fans a much more compelling Superman than they've seen in some time.

I really, really like the idea and concept and even the basic character of Superman, but do you know where I get my Superman fix? It seems like everywhere but the cmonthly omics has a better idea of what the character is about. Whether it is the somewhat whiney and conflicted Clark of Smallville, or the Justice League cartoon version that batted Darkseid around like pinata or the many interesting takes on Superman in the Elseworld books (i.e. Mark Millar's absolutely shocking Red Son), or the aforementioned knockoffs, there is a lot of Superman to find. But oddly, not in the monthly rags with his name on them.

Why is that, you think?

No comments: