Sunday, January 10, 2010

Notes about me

Tonight is a hodgepodge of stuff that's leading into this week's theme, and it'll help explain a few things:

I don't really have much interaction with fandom; never have and likely never will. This is based on a few things:

-Online fandom - I'm well out of the mainstream in that I don't really post to any of the comic message boards. I don't even visit most of them, and the ones I do visit and/or post to are well off the beaten path. Part of it stems from the fact that I don't have the time or energy, and part of it stems from my opinions being far out of mainstream fandom, so I don't have much in common. The one exception is that I do visit a lot of (what I consider) big name comic blogs (listed in the sidebar, natch).


-Conventions - I like the idea of them - both for meeting some of the smaller-name creators (I have no desire to meet Warren Ellis, despite liking some of his books; Aaron Williams however, I owe a coke to, and would like to get him one some day) and other social aspects. However, they are too far away and too costly for me to justify, so unless happenstance intervenes I don't see it happening.

In fact, when I think about it, most of whatever enjoyment I'm getting from "Big Two" supercomics these days is more from the fans than from anything the companies themselves are producing. Take a look at ItsJustSomeRandomGuy and his awesome YouTube videos, or the way Christopher Bird wrote the best Doctor Strange stuff I've seen in...ever, really. So, with that in mind, I'm turning away from the more familiar big two this week to talk a little about some other comics that are holding my interest, and maybe should be on your reading lists too.


So sit back, and let the games begin!







No comments: