Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Things I don't get

OK, so this is one of the new promo images for the current status quo in the Wildstorm-verse, and I have a few questions to ask to anyone who is still reading the books (which judging from the sales is pretty much no-one).

  1. Spartan's new look there - Ok, I can sorta get the pseudo-Greek helmet (even if it looks more Roman than Greek, but I'll let that slide), but it doesn't look like it offers much in the way of face protection which strikes me as sort of the point. Also, weren't the Spartans more into spears and swords? What's with the Axe?
  2. So, that guy on the far far left - is that supposed to be Hellstrike? Did they really stick him back in his old costume from, what is it? 1993? Because that is ugly.
  3. Isn't it weird that everyone is now wearing tights? Wasn't the whole point of the Wildstorm endeveour to get away from traditional silver-age costumes and go for something a little more militaristic/real? Yet there's GEN-13, who's main selling point was that they were teens who just happened to have superpowers (instead of superheroes who happen to be teenagers), in Dave Cockrum -style Legion of Superheroes outfits. Talk about stepping backwards

Alright, answers if you got'em.

1 comment:

Phil Watts, Jr. said...

1) I love George Perez to death, but his look just doesn't fit these characters at all, and this further illustrates that character designs were NEVER his strong point (Jericho, Terry Long, the original Troia outfit, the killer-collar Nightwing costume, Triatholon, etc.)

2) I prefer the early-mid 90s look of most of these characters. YES, I am fully aware that I am not supposed to (after all, it's the EARLY-TO-MID 90'S), but you know what? I DON'T CARE! I prefer Spartan's old superhero look to this weird gladiator look (I also like the fact that depite his 'state-of-the-art' technology, anybody could just run up and pop his arms off like a cheap toy!) And Ladytron is supposed to look like a cybornetic Punk-Rock chick, not a...whatever they have her looking like here.

3) As for the "stepping backwards" complaint, Wildstorm is a DC property now, and in case you haven't noticed, they're trying to bring EVERYBODY back to the Silver Age! It's gotten to the point where they can't even make an original character anymore without having them follow SOMEBODY'S legacy. It's getting annoying and I wish they would STOP!