Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It's really not easy


A lot of people believe that Batman's the one you should look up to. After all, he wasn't gifted with powers, he had to work at it to become the pinnacle of humanity, and he constantly dedicates himself to a nigh-impossible task. And of course, there's the school of thought that if Superman were like Batman, as tireless and as dedicated, then nothing bad would ever happen.

I think these people are missing the point, personally.

I've always viewed Superman's role as a challenge to humanity, and one that's mirrored in his metaphorical challenge as a work of fiction. The challenge being "OK, here I am using what my hertiage has gifted me with to make things better in the name of Truth, Justice, and the American Way. You try it. You live up to your full potential, you use your gifts, and together, we can make this planet a decent place to live."

It's a nice thought at least.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dunno...if I had the powers of Kal-El...I would really take advantage of them and not be such a boy scout.

NOT be evil though...but not be such a wimp either.