Sunday, August 07, 2011

So, this is a thing that has happened


If you've been wondering as to the lack of post and posters of late, my reasons are pretty straightforward:

1) It's summer. There's sun and beaches and warm air.
2) Complete and utter apathy towards Big Two Corporate supercomics.


The second one may or may not be important to you, but let me explain. Normally, I go through the solicits for upcoming books, and if there's a cover that really grabs my interest as poster material, I plug it into the macro and ...well, see for yourself.

However it has now been about two months since the Marvel or DC solicits have any images worth posterizing. DC is all about the reboot, and I just don't care about that at all (and in an upcoming post, I'll explain as to why that may or may not be a good thing), and all the Marvel series are in ALL OUT WAARRRRRRRR! mode with three major "WAR" crossovers (Fear Itself, X-Men Schism, and "Spider-Island") which simply fail to grab my interest because it has become so repetitive and boring.




Now, the cover images make about 50% of my poster material (I don't have hard numbers - someone can do that if they really feel a burning need). But this is combined with my genuine apathy towards all but a precious few series that grab my attention (Love and Capes, PS238, Farscape, Dungeons & Dragons, and occasionally Mark Waid's Incorruptible and some of the Zorro and Star Trek material). And while I could expound on those books endlessly, I don't know if it's enough to sustain a blog. In reality, I've probably said most of what I want to say on the comics I've read, and what's out there (not much in my mind).






So, will I be closing down? Eventually, yes. It's inevitable as other interests and concerns in my life are taking over. The reason I restarted this blog a few years back was to share with people my poster images. There's actually a secret origin story for that, so stay tuned and you'll see it. I don't have a set quit date yet, as there are other posts I'll throw up - the secret origin, a few thoughts on the DC reboot, and other items of interest to me. But for the most part, the majority of the posts from here on out will simply be poster-only posts for you to enjoy and share with one another.

Thank you all and please, stay tuned and keep reading!















5 comments:

Rebekah said...

You're going away? Awww! Now I can't steal your posters and show them to my paltry number of followers ...

I completely agree with you on the Big Two apathy, though. I've had to yell at my local comics retailer a couple of times that I just don't care about the latest super-crossover, since it's all so repetitive and doesn't change anything anyway (at least, I hope that's true, because the one thing they've done that I HAVE cared about is kill of one of my favorite characters--and do it badly, thus earning them no fan points).

If it helps any, my superhero serial running on my site (www.PocketCoyote.com) is a bit PS238-like ... and a bit not ... and you're welcome to make posters of my bizarre, pathetic illustrations anytime you like. It would make my day.

MrCynical said...

Feel free to help yourself to whatever posters I put up. I did a count yesterday and I have well over 3000 of'em! Should be plenty for you!

Tom said...

Well that depresses me, but I understand. I do think you have had some of the most insightful and entertaining posts concerning comics online, rivaling Chris Simms'. I appreciate everything you have done for us.

Mario Di Giacomo said...

I've pretty much moved my blog away from comics completely, and into more of a movies/TV space.

(I may start some book reviews as well. Still debating that.)

About the only new title I'm excited about is Witch Doctor from Image, of all places. Otherwise, it's my usual slate of indy books, like GD and Robo.

And the odd thing is... I don't mind at all.

Phil Watts, Jr. said...

I'm in the same boat as you.

For about 4 years, I used to write a music column for 411mania. However, as the years went on, it became increasingly harder to write about the current music world...because there is absolutely nothing about today's music world that inspires me to want to write about it. NOTHING. For a while, I would dedicate my columns to music I liked and cared about, mostly about artists of the past. But after a while, it seemed as if I was pretty much talking to myself. So one day, about a year ago, I simply stopped writing. Didn't even give my notice or make a big announcement of it. I just stopped.

I don't blame you for wanting to quit. On one hand, we love the characters, but on the other, the people writing, drawing, and promoting those characters are complete assholes, a bunch of Professional Fanboys throwing the word 'Fanboy' at anyone with the guts to criticize them. After a while, your only reaction to it all pretty much becomes, "FUCK YOU ALL. I AM LEAVING. Good luck chasing those imaginary 'NEW FANS' with the bullshit you're peddling."